The Lane Kiffin era at USC is over after the embattled coach posted an unimpressive 28-15 record in four seasons as head coach. In case you missed the game last night, and really, there was no good reason to tune in, the Trojans fell to 0-2 in the Pac-12 following a 62-41 loss at Arizona St. Athletic Director Pat Haden was on the sidelines in the second half to witness up-close how far the program has fallen, then fired his coach after landing back in LA. Poor Lane. And our condolences to the 150 real USC fans out there, although in an unscientific poll, about 149 of them wanted him canned.
Shortly after Kiffin took the job, USC was hit with a boatload of sanctions from Pete Carrol’s tenure. But that still doesn’t make up for the team’s performance the last two years. Any time you give up 62 points in the state of Arizona, unless Kurt Warner is suited up on the other sideline, it’s a complete and utter embarrassment. And their offense so far this season ranked last in the conference in almost every meaningful statistic. Also don’t forget about the 2012 season, when USC was ranked No. 1 in August and ended up outside the top 25.
Kiffin’s not exactly a stranger to changing jobs. He’s previously coached the Raiders (where he had a falling out with the late Al Davis) and had a short run as head coach at Tennessee (which he ended to take the gig in LA).
My guess is his next move will be as an offensive coordinator somewhere, but honestly, would you really want this man calling your plays? He’s taken a once-powerful offensive juggernaut and turned it into a laughingstock. He’s never won as a head coach, and there’s no reason to hire him in that position, on any level, unless you have a ton of money for a grade school team, though I’d be worried about player development.
Looking ahead for USC, the job is still one of the top five or ten in the country, with the program’s recent history (prior to Kiffin) and its storied tradition. They’ll look to finish this season strong, and with a 3-2 overall record, can still qualify for a bowl. Then they’ll make another big hire this offseason. And let me be the first to throw this out there…how ‘bout Kanye? He already lives in town, and the Yeezy era at USC would produce some great press conferences.
– If you still don’t know who Florida St. redshirt freshman Jameis Winston is, you will soon. He led the Seminoles to another big win (48-34 over Boston College) and is quickly becoming one of the most exciting players in the nation. The kid’s arm is legit and he has FSU rolling at 4-0. He’s probably a future top-5 NFL pick and currently leads the highest scoring offense in the ACC.
– The Georgia-LSU game yesterday was incredibly entertaining, with the Bulldogs pulling out a 44-41 victory in Athens. The win puts Georgia right in the middle of the national championship conversation, and still very much alive to advance to the SEC title game. Don’t forget about LSU either, still with only one loss and Alabama looming on the schedule.
– Ohio St. remained undefeated and passed their first major test of the season by beating Wisconsin 31-24 in Columbus. Braxton Miller returned from injury to throw 4 touchdown passes, and at least for the time being, there’s no quarterback controversy, even though backup Kenny Guiton played like an All-American in the three games he started.
– Check out South Carolina’s Brison Williams destroying a Central FLorida receiver. It was initially ruled as targeting, but the refs later overturned Williams ejection. Plays like this will factor into how the NCAA determines targeting going forward.
– It was a good and bad day for The Big 12. Oklahoma looked like a legit contender in their dismantling of Notre Dame on the road. On the flip side, No. 11 Oklahoma State got upset by West Virginia in Morgantown.
– They’re not dominating in the same fashion as prior years, but Alabama is 5-0 after shutting out No. 21 Ole Miss at home. The Nick Saban express rolls along, headed on a collision course with LSU.
– Stanford remained in full on beast mode at Washington St. Rather than watch the game, this Wazzou fan in the vid below decided to dump popcorn all over himself. Cheers bro.