Sorry Brett Favre, but you deserve this.
Look, I and most NFL fans were hoping you’d ride off into the sunset after another last second interception ended your team’s season at the edge of a Super Bowl appearance. But you decided to pull your usual sh*t. And why not. You adding another 20 millie to your bank account and last year showed you still had enough left in the tank to dominate the league. What difference does one more year when you’ve been owning this league for almost two decades?
Evidently quite a bit. Despite 140 yards from Adrian Peterson and another good game from their D, the Vikes fell to 0-2 as Favre’s four turnovers sunk their chances and gave the Dolphins first place in the AFC East. At this point, Brad Childress seriously has to be considering pressing the panic button—be it mortgaging the future for Vincent Jackson, getting Favre on a strict drug regimen of HGH and Vicodin or getting Tavaris back in the lineup.
After a week of trash talk buildup, most eyes – mine included – were focused on the Meadowlands for the matchup between the Pats and the Jets, and more particularly, Darelle Revis versus Randy Moss. While Moss started slow, he broke off of Revis Island with a sensational one-handed grab that gets an early nomination for catch of the year.
Revis was embarrassed so badly he took his ball and went home, asking out with a hammie injury. As a Pats fan, it was a great moment to witness one of the loudmouth trash talking Jets get his comeuppance,
Unfortunately, pride goeth before the fall. I should have turned off the game right then, cause the rest of the game was a total trainwreck for the Patriots. Darius Butler got picked on more than a kid with a lazy eye and the offense went from a well-oiled machine to a discombobulated disgrace in a matter of minutes. You can’t consider the Pats contenders until they win a few big road games. Hey it could be worse—I could be a Cowboys fan.
– Donovan McNabb gave Redskins fans hope by throwing the ball all over the Houston before their defense gave it away in the fourth quarter. His adversary Matt Schaub put up 500 yards, bringing tears of joy to fantasy owners everywhere.
– Lions fans take heart, you’re this close to turning things around. Jahvid Best is the latest weapon the Motor City’s unearthed, as he nearly singlehandedly led a successful comeback against…Michael Vick’s Eagles? What the f#ck is going on in 2010?
– The aforementioned Cowboys blew their home opener against the frisky Bears, as Jay Cutler had his annual good early game that gets people on the bandwagon. We’ll see if people are still on it come Thanksgiving.
– The Manning Bowl was a dud as Peyton toyed with his little bro. Sadly, the Colts are not dead.
– The Titans blew a chance to assert themselves as leaders in the AFC South in a game that featured Kerry Collins and the greatest onside kick of all time. With only 34 yards rushing, the Chris Johnson 2,500 yard is watch is over before it began.